I have complied up a list of products that help extend make-up wear. Some products mentioned are either highly reviewed from consumers, new or have been getting a lot of buzzes.
Using primers can provide a finish that will require less finishing powder. Primers help to smooth out pores and help make your skin an even surface for Make-up application. They also act as a barrier that the make-up holds onto, that your skin naturally can’t do.
FOR OILY SKIN
- Becca EverMatte- a strong oil control hold. Humidity and sweat resistant. It has a translucent opaque color with a clear finish. Silicone free $36.00
- Tartes Clean state poreless 12-hour wear primer has a clear formula appearance. It is very light and non-greasy. $31.00 I love that this primer is free of chemical by-products and has a smooth consistency in texture
- Too faced has two. (1)Primed and Poreless powder, and (2) Primed and poreless smoothing face primer is a clear formula. Both contain vitamins and are $30.00 each
- Lancome La Base- Has a clear silky texture. Oil-free, the perfect middle ground for a matte/satin finish. $42.00
- No 7 Stay Beautifully Matte Base has gotten great reviews for providing oil control! It’s hypoallergenic and has a soft and smooth application. $12.99
- Maybelline Baby Skin Primer “Instant Pore Eraser” Is fragrance-free and Non –Comedogenic. This Primer really helps to diminish large pores. $5-7.00
FOR ACNE-PRONE SKIN
- Lorac POREfection Mattifying Primer- Smooth clear texture. It contains Salicylic Acid and Retinyl Palmitate that both help with acne. $32.00
FOR DRY SKIN
- Too faced- Hangover Rx Replenishing Face Primer. Nicely hydrating and non-greasy. It contains water, coconut juice, glycerin, olive and fruit oil. Suited great for dryer skin types. $32.00
- Smashbox-Primer Oil has an olive oil scent, being that it’s primarily oil based, a little goes a long way! But for dryer skin types your skin should really drink it up! $42.00
- NYX- Honey dew Me Up. $16.99. Dryer skin types will surely love this primer. It contains dry skin-loving ingredients such as Hyaluronic acid, collagen, and honey! Just be sure to let this primer set and watch it absorb into your skin for 5 minutes and then you’ll be ready to go!
- Elf- Hydrating face primer. $6.00 Infused with grapeseed oil and vitamins A, C & E.
Setting sprays in makeup has similar effects as to what hairsprays can do for your hair. They also extend the wear of your make-up. Some of them are skin type formulated and or can be used to have a preferenced finish. They help to prevent creasing and can act as an environmental shield to protect the face from breaking down.
- Boscia White Charcoal Mattifying Spray- Contains cucumber and rosemary. This spray has received great reviews, Many oily girls have said they noticed less oil throughout the day and didn’t have to blot much at all. Boscia is a 100% preservative free Japanese beauty brand. I say give it a try oily girls and matte lovers. $38.00
- Skindonavia $29.00- Has a variety of Sprays depending upon occasion and skin preference. They have setting sprays to help control oil, bridal-day setting spray for extra long wear, as well as their universal “The Make-up Setting Spray. They also have primer Sprays $35.00
- Urban Decay – Skindonavia and Urban decay partnered up to make Skin preferenced Setting Sprays as well. The ingredients are similar to the skindonavia brand but not the exact same ingredients. Rave reviews for “All Nighter”. “Cooling and Hydrating” is a great one for dryer skin types or for a dewy finish. $30.00
- L`oreal Infallible Pro Spray and Set $16.99
- Hard Candy Fast and Fabulous $6.00 (Cucumber Scent) Cruelty-free (All Skin-Types)
SETTING VS FINISHING POWDERS
Setting powders generally is used in the last steps of makeup application. Some are translucent or color matching to one's skin tone. They give extra hold and wear to liquid or cream based make-up. You can find them in loose and pressed form. Setting powders are popularly used after concealing the under eye area to prevent creasing. Finishing powders are generally used sparingly after the use of setting powders. They help fill in imperfections that especially cameras emphasize, such as pores and fine lines to give a more flawless finish.
- Fiona Stiles Colored Setting Powders come in 5 shades. Shade Almati (07-08) and Miramar (09-10) are suitable for darker skin tones. A sheer, non-cakey, non-color altering, finely milled loose powder. I really like the high-quality color pigment and soft feel of her setting powders. $26.00
- Urban Decay Finishing powder comes in 5 shades. Jet-Milled. If you’ve ever felt Urban finishing powder you know how fine they feel. $34.00
- NYX Mineral Set it don’t Fret itSetting powder $10.00
- Airspun Finishing powder comes in three shades $6.00
Please see the article “Best Powder for women of Color Article for more finishing and setting suggestions.